[wellylug] Re: Formalising WellyLUG - revisited

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Jan 28 13:44:40 NZDT 2004

> How many people moved to Linux so that they could get what they wanted
> without the undesirable crap?  I know I did.  Then I moved from a
> vanilla Redhat install to Debian, because I could cut out more cruft.
> On some of my boxes, I use LFS to cut resource-use even further.  The
> popularity of LFS/Gentoo suggests I am not alone.
>
> So why not apply the Linux philosophy (keep it simple and uncluttered if
> possible) to the LUG?  WellyLUG is small (nothing wrong with that),
> needs little if any funding, and seems (to me anway) to work okay as it
> is.

I sympathise with this Tony, but believe many of the people associated with
WLUG are capable of doing (and wanting to do) things to support Linux & OSS
that the current structure (or lack of) makes difficult. For this reason, I
believe it is safe to say that the current WLUG structure does NOT suit all the
members. It is timely, therefore, to look at changes to how WLUG is managed and
see if we can find a common structure which better meets everyone's desires.

It will necessarily be a compromise. The last thing that should happen is the
splintering of Wellington Linux supporters over such issues, to form separate
groups. We need something which meets the needs of as many of us as possible.

The main issue seems to be one of should WLUG change/grow to support
more/different activities or remain as is. Nothing inherently wrong with
remaining small & fun, or trying to develop a vehicle to support other
activities, it is very much a personal choice.

Brent Wood