[wellylug] Desktop Random Image Changer 1.0

Jethro Carr dodocaptain at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jul 6 07:44:44 NZST 2004

hi all,

I wanted to change my desktop background, but I couldn't decide what
image I liked the most. So, I decided to make a script that picks an
image at random & displays it on the desktop.

It's a perl script. It simply picks a directory from the list at random.
Then, it gets all the image files in that directory, & picks one at
random.

Finnaly, it makes a link to the chosen image. This link will always have
the same name. You simply set the link as your background image.
However, to view the change (in GNOME) you will have to logout, so GNOME
reloads the image from the file.

To set up:
1. Configure the settings system. It's self explaniatory & has comments
for your use.
2. List the file in your start up scripts, so it is run at everyboot.
This file differs from distro to distro, but on LFS it's
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gdm

enjoy,

--
-- Jethro