[wellylug] Partitioning - XFS resizing experience

Nick Jensen spoonfella at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 10:43:56 NZST 2004

Hi all, time for my weekly batch of questions.

1. I'm going lightweight these days on an old linux box I've put together,
running Slackware 9.1. I use fluxbox as my window manager, and like it alot
- very fast. (I'll keep an eye out for matchbox too, but for now I'm happy).
In keeping with the lightweight theme, I've also been trying some different
browsers, because Mozilla's a pig. So far I'm liking dillo, which is super
fast on my old machine. Not supporting frames is a killer though, and means
I can't check hotmail, or easily use Google image search. Others I have
tried are: Netscape / Mozilla - both slow; Galeon - slow; Opera - seems to
want me to pay for it, or punish me with adds; lynx / links - text based?
honestly.
So can anyone help me out here? Something like dillo that's a bit further
along on the development stage?

2. I'm having problems with programs closing on me. I don't know if it is
fluxbox doing this, or something more sinister. If I open dillo, for
example, and do a couple of "open link in new window"'s - which I like to do
alot - suddenly all of them will close - no error messages or anything. I
can get around this my opening a new dillo and copying the link over, but
this is quite frustrating and every once in a while I forget - and dillo
doesn't have history (which I don't miss, as long as the app stays open
until I close it). The same kind of thing happens when I use Mozilla, or
Gimp - basically when any process becomes too big for it's boots.
Is that the problem? Is there a limit of the amount of resources any process
is allowed? Am I seeing several different bugs and mistaking them for each
other? Don't tell me these are supposed to be features ...?

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance - I've been learning a heap
from the answers I've been given in this forum.

   Nick