[wellylug] Asus is anti-linux?

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Sat Jul 17 08:13:55 NZST 2004

Jethro Carr wrote:

>How can diversity be a weakness? This has given Linux it's strongest
>weapon - it can run on almost ANYTHING!
>Standardisation: How many standards does Linux support? Hundreds! (IPv6,
>PPP, etc)

Standardisation, not adhereance to standards. ie. Why does one Window
Manager do things one way and another do it a completely different and
incompatible way? Why do I need to work out if I'm using arts, esound or
some other weird sound driver architecture?
If Linux wants to make its way onto the 'average Joe's (or
Joesphine's!)' desktop then it needs to work in a consistant and
predictable manner and at the moment it does not in many areas. In some
it is fine but in others it leaves a lot to be desired. For example
simple speed of the desktop, Windows is a heck of a lot faster than
Linux for day to day desktop use on my PC (XP2000, 512MB Ram, 200GB
disk), hopefully one of the new X replacement projects can solove this?
Certainly there are some things that are making this easier and easier,
and some distros Xandros, Mandrake, SuSE etc. are putting a lot of work
into trying to protect the user from what is really under the hood.
Until this happens Linux is not going to have the uptake that it wants,
it is an ongoing task but to put it simply :

*Until Linux is `better` than Windows then it is not going to belong on
the average users desktop*

*`better` in this case equates to being able to be used, administered,
updated etc. by your average know-nothing type computer user, until
Linux comes out of the realms of being a geeks toy it is not going to
make any great in-roads on the desktop. And there have been a number of
articles and surveys that support this way of thinking. Things are being
done to address this but there is still a huge amount of work to be done
before L:inux is ready for mainstream home and corporate use.

This is _not_ a flame of Linux, I still use Linux on an almost daily
basis, but I am a geek (and have been for well over 20 years). I am not
your average user therefore my experience is not applicable to normal
users as I am not too scared to go 'under the hood' and try to get
things working properly.

Perhaps now we can but this thread to bed and avoid the mutant
foaming-at-the-mouth flame-war that it is likely to become because I
said that Linux isn't the best solution for all people/tasks.