[wellylug] Re: CA-CERT Assurance

Simon Anderson oob at wildstar.net
Fri Jun 4 11:51:46 NZST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Sam Cannell wrote:
> * What's wrong with the signal/noise ratio?  In my opinion, it's been
> great recently.  If by signal/noise you refer to the number of posts
> solely related to Linux, then your initial CA-Cert post would also be
> classed as noise, no?

I was referring to the signal/noise ratio of email, not of posts to this
list.

I believe SMTP as currently implemented is reaching the end of days as
it's utility is ever decreased by spam/virii etc. and the responses to it.
Digital certificates offer a solution. My point was (that you
misinterpreted) that as the problem gets worse, the need for digital
certificates may become more apparent.

> * Your latest email is feels extremely judgemental of everyone else on a
> list that you appear to have posted a grand total of five messages to.

I'm not being judegmental, you are being defensive :) As I said, it's
understandable that there is not a lot of interest, as there is not a lot
of current need.

> * Your first email was, in my opinion, very pushy and didn't explain any
> real benefit in becoming a "CA-Cert User".

Pushy huh? That's what you get when you try to do people a favour.

-Simon.