[wellylug] Can anyone bring CDs of these distros to the meeting?

Bret Comstock Waldow bwaldow at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jun 13 10:41:27 NZST 2004

If you can provide copies of any of these, I'd be grateful (and happy to
provide blank CDs, or something in return).

I am trying to solve a problem of supporting non-computer literate
people (friends and family), so I'm looking at distros to see which
satisfy my needs.

I'm running Libranet 2.8.1 now, but the download won't burn without
errors on my CDRW, even though the md5 sums match.

I'd like to check out Lindows (4.5 laptop), Xandros (particularly - I
haven't seen it yet), and Mandrake 10, since everyone says they don't
have to look under the hood to get it to do things.  Sun's Java Desktop
would be a good candidate too, based on what I've read, as would SuSE
9.1, based on the expectation of broad support.

A verified copy of Libranet 2.8.1 would be nice, as I may end up
sticking with it.

My criteria are that someone who actually does not have the mindset to
become knowledgeable about computers can:

1) Reinstall it.

2) Use it.

3) Maintain it (including security and bugfixes, and firewall/virus
issues, which I am concerned will likely become more serious an issue).

4) Do mainstream computer functions, like email, surfing, word
processing, and saving and arranging files so they can find them later.
This includes having access to "mainstream" multimedia functions -
sound, video, news feeds, etc.

The gap between these ideals and reality is something I will have to
make up for, so I'd like to minimize my input.  The closer a distro
comes, the less I have to take care of.

It's easier to give advice if I become knowledgeable about it myself, so
I'd like to be able to use it day to day.  Thus, I would like to be able
to install development/scientific/Java etc. on it - that is, it can be
used in a "modest" configuration, but can support package standards
broad enough not to be a straitjacket on me.

I've run several versions of SuSE, RedHat, and Debian over the years, so
I'm comfortable with any of them, but I also know what I'm up against
trying to maintain a non-geek's computer at a distance.

Libranet seems good for this, and Lindows and Xandros being Debian based
look like they might fulfill these needs.  I've tried Debian Woody with
backports, but I wonder how timely the attention to security and bugfix
issues is.  I might chance it, but do I want to suggest somone in
University (mission critical by their standards) with no computer
understanding rely on it?  When they're on another continent and I can't
always be reached?

I'm willing to contribute to the GNU/Linux economy by paying for support
if it meets my/our needs.

So, if you can provide copies of install CDs for any of the above, or
another candidate you think might meet my needs, I can come to the
meeting tomorrow night, or meet you in Wellington.  (I work off
Courtenay Place, and do not have a car.)  I have a spare hard disk to
install and try them on.  Please let me know if you'd like blank CDs or
whatever in exchange.

Thanks,
Bret