[wellylug] Serial Port Data + Logging

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jun 15 17:44:41 NZST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Chris Hodgetts wrote:
> And log it into a file, that can be interrogated for usage and things.
>
> I was going to use Minicom and log the output of that, but don't think
> that it is the best way.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful :)

cat /dev/ttyS0 > logfile   ?

If you want to use a terminal emulator (e.g. to set baudrate, etc) then I
recommend 'cu' (it's part of UUCP) or even 'screen'. Screen can do it's
own logging, and you could run cu inside 'script' but personally I'd just
set up the serial port parameters and then read from /dev/ttySn.

--
David.