[wellylug] Distro of choice

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jun 18 13:31:14 NZST 2004

Darryl Hamilton wrote:

> Nick Jensen wrote:
>
>> I've notice during my lurking that we seem to have some die-hard
>> Debian fans here, and some Gentoo fans as well. Mandrake certainly
>> sounds appealing - if a bit too much like what I already have. And I
>> don't think I'm ready for Slackware just yet!
>> So tell me - what do you recommend?
>

> I'm going to recommend Slackware anyway, even though you don't believe
> you're ready for it.
>
> Can I just ask why? Is it the lack of a decent built in package
> management system, or something else?
>
> Slackware DOES has a package management system (you can all stop
> laughing now), but it's not as comprehensive as apt-get or rpm.
> However, there are a number of 3rd party utils that you can install
> that emulate both pretty well, with automated downloading and
> installing, plus dependancy checking etc
>
> Personally I use swaret (swaret.org), but there are quite a few others
> (I'll make up a list if you want to know more).
>
> d.

Don't forget to give the small ones a look in too - Vector linux is a
slackware based distro with some of the fat trimmed and a more friendly
install.

I currently use Onebase linux which is not based on any other distro but
is also lean and performs well on lower spec machines (although it's
i686 so needs at least a p2).