[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Wed Mar 3 10:05:56 NZDT 2004

On 03/03/04 09:40, Tony Wills wrote:
> At 09:19 3/03/04 +1300, Chris Hodgetts wrote:
>
>> You can stay on your old plan, and from what I have been told , last
>> night, they will not force you, but they will no longer provide the old
>> plans to new customers.
>

> As someone who uses about 9.5GB per month (actually that's used up in
> about 10 days) I see no merit at all in the new plans.  Of course I'd
> like to see the lower modem rental, and reduction of excess charges, but
> what I'd really like is a 30GB plan :-).
>
> Having signed up for a two year connection (and hence had connection
> fees waved) I'd be very unhappy if they try to change the plan I signed
> up for.

For the slightly less informed, you can see the plans on the Telstra
site here: http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/products/internet/highspeed/

What Telstra seem to have (finally) worked out, is that it doesn't cost
them any more for a user to download faster. What costs them is the
aggregated traffic peaks, and possibly total data. I don't imagine that
those are going to change all that dramatically. The total amount of
data may even go down, but probably not since more people will go for
cable on these plans.

Basically, you are being asked to pay for more, but you aren't getting
more. You are getting less (or the same amount) faster.

That isn't automatically a really bad thing but it's a little
disappointing. They could so easily have doubled each of those data
caps, and made the whole thing about 10 times more appealing. That would
have given Telecom a very sharp kick in the teeth.

One other thing I'm concerned about is the lack of any mention of
free/cheap NZ traffic. If that's gone, then all of a sudden life isn't
so rosy. No more cheap net backup :(.

Those are my thoughts anyway. If I was the main user on our flat
connection, then I'd be keen to change to the 5GB plan, but my flatmates
use far more total international data than I do, so we will probably be
sticking with the current 256k/10GB plan.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand