[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Wed Mar 3 10:37:35 NZDT 2004

On 03/03/04 10:13, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> As someone who recently bought a stationwagon, because that's what I
> could afford, I am disappointed that I can not buy a bus, because that's
> what I really need. I have 14 children. I would buy the bus, but I can
> not afford it. I think the bus company are being really unfair.
>
> A pair of Jeans from the store comes in 5 sizes. I want special jeans
> with elastic pockets, a velcro fly and an armour plated left leg, but I
> just can't believe that I'll need to go to a tailor!.
>
> I want a custom made stereo with a 5 speaker system and the ability to
> turn into an indian takeaway at midnight. But it should cost the same as
> the sanyo mini-system from the warehouse.
>
> Someone gave me a racehorse, but it had bad teeth so I gave it back. How
> dare they give a racehorse with bad teeth!
>
> :-)
>
> jamie

What you seem to be saying - in a fine comedic way - is that we have
unreasonable expectations. I don't think that is the case. We can easily
depress ourselves by looking at various overseas Internet industries who
offer basically what we want. "But Tim, we aren't overseas!" Sure,
that's  true, but there aren't a any good enough differences between our
situations and those overseas to justify how the industry here behaves.
I would be very interested to know the profit margin differences between
various different countries with regard to broadband. I expect that in
NZ the telcos are making much more/mb than they are overseas.

If there is significant demand for a product (and there is) and there is
a precedent of that product being commercially viable (and there is)
then having an expectation that it should be available doesn't seem
unreasonable or particularly unrealistic.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand