[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

Rob Giltrap rob at ubietygroup.com
Wed Mar 3 10:46:59 NZDT 2004

Tim Nicholas wrote:

> What you seem to be saying - in a fine comedic way - is that we have
> unreasonable expectations. I don't think that is the case. We can
> easily depress ourselves by looking at various overseas Internet
> industries who offer basically what we want. "But Tim, we aren't
> overseas!" Sure, that's  true, but there aren't a any good enough
> differences between our situations and those overseas to justify how
> the industry here behaves. I would be very interested to know the
> profit margin differences between various different countries with
> regard to broadband. I expect that in NZ the telcos are making much
> more/mb than they are overseas.
>
> If there is significant demand for a product (and there is) and there
> is a precedent of that product being commercially viable (and there
> is) then having an expectation that it should be available doesn't
> seem unreasonable or particularly unrealistic.
>
> Tim

Whoops, I didn't mean to start a flame war. I just intended this for
informational purposes as many WellyLUGers do alot of downloading and
this is relevent to us.

I do agree with some of the comments though. There is a need for a lower
speed / lower cost service where you don't have to worry about having an
unexpected bill for overused traffic when your teenager works out how to
download music videos at a rate of 1GB/hour