[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 3 16:01:05 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Donald Gordon wrote:

> According to http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3552257 :
>
>  "The previous split charging for international and domestic traffic has
>   been abandoned, with all data charged at the same rate."
>
> That's really annoying.  I liked the old scheme - this means that the
> new 1GB plan is faster, but gives you much less traffic than the old
> one, depending on your usage :-(

Ok, I missed that - that is even more infuriating! If they force me to
'upgrade' then not only will I take a traffic cap hit, I'll also have to
reduce my total downloading even further since I try to use NZ mirrors
whenever possible. All this, and it will end up costing me *more*. What
marketing geniuses came up with this set of plans? Oh, but I'll get a
faster connection. Whup-de-doo...

I tried to be pro-active and contact TelstraClear via their online
feedback system and got an 'Internal Server Error' - sigh. I'd rather not
ring them in case they insist I change plans or try to convince me to
change my Windows network settings...

This is definitely shaping up to be a step backwards in terms of customers
in my situation. This isn't progress, it's an attempt to make more money
off people who value file transfer over simple email/surfing. It's just a
pity the competition isn't very appealing either.

David '256ker'