[wellylug] RH dependencies

Richard Hector rhector at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 7 03:57:54 NZDT 2004

Hi all,

Any RedHat users out there?

I'm playing with RH9 at the moment, since that's the most recent release
officially supported by my DSE wlan card.

I need the kernel source. No problem, find the local mirror, find the
kernel-source rpm, download.

that depends on gcc (why?? there are uses in having the source without
compiling it ...) so I download that.

gcc depends on binutils, cpp and glibc-devel (why?? there are programs
that don't use glibc aren't there? Isn't the kernel one of them?)

binutils and cpp install!

glibc-devel depends on kernel-headers (wtf?? I'm installing the kernel
source, why do I need the headers separately?)

But my friendly mirror has no such package listed. And despite my
reasoning above, trying to install glibc-devel, gcc and kernel-source
together (in the hopes that kernel-source will satisfy kernel-headers by
some magical means) fails too (still complaining about kernel-headers).

Any suggestions where to go from here?

Other than back to Debian, with attempts to port the install scripts?

Many thanks,

Richard