[wellylug] RH dependencies

Phillip Rose rosewong at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 7 09:10:43 NZDT 2004

At 03:57 07/03/04 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Any RedHat users out there?
>
>I'm playing with RH9 at the moment, since that's the most recent release
>officially supported by my DSE wlan card.
>
>I need the kernel source. No problem, find the local mirror, find the
>kernel-source rpm, download.
>
>that depends on gcc (why?? there are uses in having the source without
>compiling it ...) so I download that.
>
>gcc depends on binutils, cpp and glibc-devel (why?? there are programs
>that don't use glibc aren't there? Isn't the kernel one of them?)
>
>binutils and cpp install!
>
>glibc-devel depends on kernel-headers (wtf?? I'm installing the kernel
>source, why do I need the headers separately?)
>
>But my friendly mirror has no such package listed. And despite my
>reasoning above, trying to install glibc-devel, gcc and kernel-source
>together (in the hopes that kernel-source will satisfy kernel-headers by
>some magical means) fails too (still complaining about kernel-headers).
>
>Any suggestions where to go from here?

Hi Richard,

You need to have all your c-libs in place before you can do almost
anything, since your kernel depends on them. You are doing a "custom" job,
so I think that if you read this, you will be able to sort out your problem:
http://linuxquestions.org/questions/history/91814

I think you'll need to go directly to Red Hat for the kernel headers, not
to a mirror.

With rpms, you just have to do things in the right order, or all at once,
depending on the situation. I've been using the free "demo" up2date to tell
me what packages are out of date, but not to actually install them, since
up2date over the rhn is way too slow, and ultimately doesn't work. I then
download the needed packages (from a local mirror) all to one new
directory, and install them all at once by CDing to the directory and
running "rpm -Fvh *rpm". With the exception I'm about to mention, this
method has always worked for me. That gets you past any dependency issues.

One note of caution, and I do mean caution: if you have an Athlon processor
you should read this post, which deals with the Athlon i386 vs i686 C
libraries bug:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/5/2003/05/4/57607

I've been very satisfied with RH, but am now looking for a new distro, due
to RH's impending withdrawl of support for end users in April. HTH.

--Phillip Rose