[wellylug] Lycoris Desktop/LX Software

Michael Dittmer michael.dittmer at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 14 21:27:48 NZDT 2004

I'm not going to start a flame war here as it doesn't get anywhere.

The question is: Why does the linux community (and I'm not just talking
people here in NZ) have a problem with companies making money from Linux.

I very rarely hear people having a go at SUSE or RedHat and also now
Mandrake for making money from Linux. Lycoris is just another company making
money from linux and are in no way breaking the GPL, the same goes with
SUSUE, RedHat and Mandrake.

If you read the license agreemnt for Lycoris Desktop/LX you will find that
it says that you are able to install it on multiple machines, you are also
able to re-distribute the OS (and OS only). You just have to follow a few
rules.

For those of you who don't like that fact that DevTools and Source don't
come with the OS, fine. You are not Lycoris's target market.

Question: Do your grandparents, children or basic business users need or
care about DevTools and / or source? The answer is NO. Do they care about
being able to give copies to their friend. Again the answer is NO (except
for maybe your children).

[RANT]
In my opinion the Linux community needs to grow up and get with the future
and not live in the past. The reason Linux will not (in the short term) make
much dent in the Desktop market is that it is to fractured. Infighting about
licenses will get linux nowhere.
[/RANT]

Michael