[wellylug] Wireless card that works with Debian

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Mar 17 05:46:09 NZDT 2004

> Does anybody know of a card that works without fuss on
> that distro?  I'm happy to load modules, but would
> prefer to avoid a kernel compile.

I've sold the netgear cards to local Linux users (none in WLUG tho), who have
got them going fine (but none that I know run Debian).

They have been well reviewed, & info like this to help install the 802.11g is
available (looks like the first should work for Debian OK):
http://www.larsen-b.com/archives/000073.html
http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/15_80211g_Netgear_WG511_and_Linux.html

The latter was the first time I came across the Linuxant Windows driver ->
Linux driver system. I haven't tried it but it looks pretty neat!

I find the following two sites as useful as any of the dozens with general
Linux WLAN info:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

Generally, the Prism based cards seem to do OK under Linux. TI based ones don't
have good Linux support.

They go for around $125, I haven't compared prices with others. Lety me know
off list if you want one, or a different brand/model.....

Brent Wood