[wellylug] Mandrake 10 problems

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Wed Mar 17 15:13:05 NZDT 2004

Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> Brenda O'Hagan wrote:
>> 9.2 was horribly flakey for about 3 months after release - then it
>> settled down
>> mandrake 10 hasn't been offically released yet, so if you dont like
>> flakey keep with mandrake 9.x for now.
>>
> I think I'll stick with Gentoo, at least that works properly on all of
> the hardware I've tried it on, unlike 10 or 9.2! 9.2 doesn't appear to
> work properly on the VIA mini-ITX mobo's which is a bit of a bummer too.
> I can't even get the network in MDK10 (now that I've managed to install
> it) working, just a flaky POS that shouldn't have even been released if
> you ask me - not that anyone will ;)

Mandrake has not "released" Mandrake 10 yet, and won't for another two months.
The current release of Mandrake 10 is the community edition, which is still a
beta, intended for testing. If you're not prepared to submit bug reports, or
want to run Mandrake on a production box, you should not be using 10 at all.

The current stable release of Mandrake is 9.2. The fact that 9.2 was still a
bit wobbly on its feet and required a fair chunk of updates before it was back
to 9.1 stability was the reason Mandrake changed their development and release
processes for 10!

I have a 9.2 urpmi update mirror you can use by going at a root prompt:

urpmi.addmedia --update massey_update
    http://www.massey.ac.nz/~jdharker/Mandrake-9.2/updates/RPMS/
    with ../base/hdlist.cz

(all one line). I've installed 9.2 on several different machines (including
one of those little Shuttle Athlon boxes) and it has worked flawlessly. I
guess your milage may vary...!?

Cheers,