[wellylug] debian q's

Enkidu enkidu at cliffp.com
Thu Mar 25 22:08:12 NZST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:30:48 +1200, you wrote:

>"Alex" writes:
>>a)
>>
>>with debian, i'm aware there is "stable" , "testing" and "unstable".
>>
>>is it possible to mix and match packages from the 3 release types? or
>>does one generally never do this?
>
>It's possible, through pinning things, to do this, but generally
>you'll run into problems running testing or unstable packages on a
>base -stable system.

Erm, I disagree. I probably wouldn't run unstable packages on a mainly
stable box anyway, the major problem is that if you install a testing
(or unstable) package on stable it updates so many other packages that
you might as well be running testing anyway. Functionally, I've never
had any problems.

Cheers,

Cliff