[wellylug] SpamAssassin/Virus checking 'before' Exchange Server

Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org
Mon Mar 29 14:42:29 NZST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004, Jamie Dobbs thus spake:

>Working in a company that loathes spending money I have been tasked with
>finding a low/no cost solution to removing that large amoun of spam that
>hits our Exhchange Server (5.5) on a daily basis.
>Changing to another mail server is not an option, but I was thinking that
>perhaps a Linux box equiped with exim(or other MTA) + SpamAssassin + some
>sort of antivirus might be a good answer to check incoming mail then pass
>on to the Exchange Server once it passes spam and virus checks.
>Does anyone have any experience with such a setup or could point me to a
>good online resource for this?
>I have tried Googling but haven't found anything or particular use so far.

Postfix+amavisd is what you seek.

<http://www.linuxbeginner.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=263>

There's a better how-to out there somewhere IIRC, if I find it I'll send
it along. We set this up at my last company with much success and
happiness. 'Tis good stuff.

Regards,

Ed Hintz
ed at hintz.org