[wellylug] SpamAssassin/Virus checking 'before' Exchange Server

Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org
Mon Mar 29 15:15:44 NZST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004, Edmund A. Hintz thus spake:

>Postfix+amavisd is what you seek.
>
><http://www.linuxbeginner.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=263>
>
>There's a better how-to out there somewhere IIRC, if I find it I'll send
>it along. We set this up at my last company with much success and
>happiness. 'Tis good stuff.

Here's that how-to:

<http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/857/>

We had this running on a boring old linux box, something like 800mhz pIII
in a DIY 1u rackmount, doing both clamav and spamassassin. Worked quite
well and was easy to setup-it was actually setup by my CIO, who did so
while I was on holiday after he completely b0rked the OBSD solution I had
going and couldn't get OBSD working properly again(he's more of a linux
guy than BSD). I believe he simply followed this blueprint when
installing. It was a plenty reliable box though, so I never wasted it and
went back to OBSD-if it works don't fix it.

I was previously using OBSD-Sendmail(obsd audited)-SpamAssassin-
ProcmailSanitizer, but all things considered I think the postfix-amavisd
solution was nicer, probably would have done it on OBSD eventually if the
CIO hadn't beat me to it. There's nice preso by Brett Glass to the
O'Reilly OS convention in 2001, that was what I based my original install
on. Still might be worth a read just for information's sake:

<http://www.brettglass.com/spam/paper.html>

Regards,

Ed Hintz
ed at hintz.org