[wellylug] accessing vfat partition

Lyndsay Mountfort lyndsaym at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 2 21:45:21 NZST 2004

Hi Luggers

I used to have access to a vfat partition from my normal user account,
but this has got broken in the last few weeks, and I'm sure sure how.

The mount directory is /win_d, with permissions 0777.

The line from /etc/fstab is:

/dev/hda5    /win_d    vfat    defaults,noauto    0 0

When the partition is mounted, the permissions on /win_d change to
drwxr-xr-x, and of course only the root account gets access.

I'm not sure how it got broken, or even that I didn't break it myself. I
did edit fstab to add read-only access to a NTFS partition, and can't be
sure that I didn't absent-mindedly edit the wrong line at some point,
then incorrectly correct it, if you see what I mean.

But I've tried everything that I can think of, or glean from Google, man
mount and man fstab, to no avail. Can anyone help?

Lyndsay