[wellylug] Red Hat launches desktop Linux

Klenner, Colin colin.klenner at eds.com
Thu May 6 08:24:33 NZST 2004

Red Hat has targeted the business desktop for this initiative, not the home
user. Indications direct from Red Hat are that this offering will be in
licence bundles of 10, 50, etc and on an annual subscription basis.
Red Hat are talking up the management of desktops, and about providing a
suite of tools for that job. It follows that ths will recommend a Red Hat
RHEL Server in the background somewhere.
Also Red Hat are going to target Europe, where Suse has a strong presence.
Suse is owned by Novell, so it seems Red Hat are only targeting a Linux
competitor in what is becoming a linux-friendly market. This is the market
that has had the strongest growth for Linux, and is coming up in the medium
term for some major turnover of PC's as older ones reach 'end-of-life'.

So from the point of view of home users/ small business it changes nothing.
But from a market perspective it is still positive.

Colin