[wellylug] Sound volume on Asus laptop

Jacob Lister jacob.lister at xtra.co.nz
Mon May 17 22:19:51 NZST 2004

<>Most probably this has to do with audio mixer configuration. System sound
(excluding the squarker, which is seperate again) goes through a seperate
channel from CD audio, and the level of these, as well as the final
output level are
controlled by the soundcards onboard mixer. You'll need a mixer
application to modify
the settings. 'aumix' is common, and I believe present on the base
Debian installation.
Run 'aumix' with no parameters will get the default mixer configuration.

'Vol' is main output level
'PCM' is system generated sound
'CD' or 'Line' will be the CD player audio, depending on your setup.

Adjust these to get your system and CD levels in set. Most distros have
scripts to keep
the settings over a reboot

Jacob

--
Hi

Can anyone suggest to me why volume output levels are really inadequate
when playing audio CDs (KsCD) and DVD movies (KMPlayer) on my Asus
laptop, and if there is anything I can do about it??

Volume for system sounds is plenty loud, also for sound from web.

The soundcard appears to be an Sis 7012 - see relevant lines from dmesg
below:

Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 12:09:30 Apr 20 2004
i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xa400 and 0xa800, MEM 0x0000 and 0x0000, IRQ 11
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650)
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, new EID value = 0x05c7
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, DAC map configured, total channels = 6
i810_audio: setting clocking to 48628

I'm running Mepis Linux (Debian unstable based), but the problem existed
for my previous Redhat 9 installation for CDs (didn't have a working DVD
player).

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Lyndsay