[wellylug] newbie installation question

Peter Jones PeterJ at indeserve.co.nz
Wed Nov 10 11:22:56 NZDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Jensen [mailto:nickspoon at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 10 November 2004 11:14 a.m.
To: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz
Subject: Re: [wellylug] newbie installation question

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:03:42 +1300, Peter Jones <peterj at indeserve.co.nz>
wrote:
> Really?? It is an external modem  (big assumption that it's not a USB
> device)
> so serial port attached and should be supported no problems.
> (getting an external is usually recommended as the way around internal
> Winmodem hell)

Ah - maybe I'm just thinking of internal modems then. Sorry. Are
external modems more acceptable because they're generally hardware
modems rather than software modems?

   Nick

That is the way I understand it.

Getting back to the original users problem, my way of resolving
would be to reinstall again, perhaps taking the expert install
option (if there is such a thing in Mandrake 10) and watching pretty
carefully
as things happen.

My current Linux-du-jour is Xandros, which I understand upsets a lot of
purists, but for ease of setup and use is pretty hard to beat.
I can supply a copy of the Open Circulation version if firstname lastname
wants to try it.

Wellington Linux Users Group Mailing List: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz