[wellylug] Forking Linux.

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 10 11:28:19 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Enkidu wrote:
> The GUI-Linuxers wouldn't know what to do without their Windows
> surrogate (OK - trolling just a tad, eh?) Many text-only Linuxers find
> a depressingly increasing number of essential tools coming only in GUI
> flavours.

Please name one *essential* tool that *requires* a GUI. Personally I can't
think of any but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

When you talk about "Forking Linux" do really mean creating different
distributions (operating systems) for different uses? This has been done
for years. If you are referring to forking the kernel, then that hardly
impacts TUI/GUI preferences.

If there are *essential* applications that *require* a GUI then the right
answer is to create a console version of *that* application.

I think you're forgetting that (GNU/)Linux isn't a monolithic thing -
"Linux" is a set of collections of lots of bits and pieces, and each has a
different collection of bits and pieces.

--
David