[PossibleSpam] Re: [wellylug] Public shell box

Donald Gordon don at dis.org.nz
Tue Nov 16 12:12:01 NZDT 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:12:09 +1300, "Geraint Jones" <g.jones at french-maid.co.nz> wrote:
> People who identify themselves to me in an email with an address and
> phone number.

Right.  Any geographical restrictions?  Will you phone them to make sure
they exist?  Some sort of firewall on outgoing connections?

Alright, so I'm paranoid :-)

> Bandwith isn't such a worry as I have a flat 10mit with no excess
> charges, still I don't want people downloading hige files onto this box.
> It already mirrors linux.jetstreamgames.co.nz so there would be no need
> to dl isoss etc to it

You'll want to use disk quotas, so that they can't fill up the disk with
junk.  PAM can be used to set up memory usage limits (IIRC) when they
login, and automatically set their nice level to 4 (or similar) if
they're in a specific group.

You need to add

session    required   pam_limits.so

in the login restrictions for your PAM config - this is
/etc/pam.d/common-account in recent debian, and then add stuff to
/etc/security/limits.conf.

donald