[wellylug] Mac Users Distro

Gordon Paynter lists at paynter.info
Thu Nov 18 16:40:14 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:50, Steven Mulvay wrote:
> This is a question for all the members of the LUG who use Linux on a
> Macintosh. What distribution of Linux do you use?

Up until about 2 days ago, when the hard disk on my iBook G3 died, I had a
dual-boot  Debian PPC and MacOS X setup.

> While I have had a lot of fun with Yellowdog, I have also run into problems
> as well. One of my problems is that I can't get my modem driver to work. My
> 2nd problem is that when I do go on the net, I haven't been able to find
> any rpm's of programs for use with Yellowdog and I struggle with compiling
> programs from source.

When I first got the iBook (3 years ago), I used Debian all the time for work,
and had almost all the hardware working and had very, very few problems with
packages not being available for PPC, if any (I can't think of any examples).
Debian is pretty good about supporting a variety of architectures.

I never tried to use the Modem. The only hardware trouble I had was that I
couldn't make external monitors work the way I thought they should, and I
often seemed to lose my kmix (audio) settings when I rebooted.  (Oh, and I
experienced the iBook speaker-screech bug a couple of times... did they ever
fix that?)

Gordon