[wellylug] Telnet

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 24 16:08:40 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Andrew Stephen wrote:
> I'm with Chris on this one.  When I don't have netcat handy telnet is
> the universal web browser, TCP protocol identifier, MUA and firewall
> rule tester.  I honestly don't remember the last time I used it for
> telnet though.

We have a telnet interface on our radio products for ease of development.
There's no customer requirement for them to run a telnet daemon. It's
quick and convenient and in the laboratory, security is a non-issue.
Simple low-level tools like dd, telnet, netcat, cat, etc are the building
blocks of a flexible and powerful system.

Speaking of netcat, who uses 'socat'? Now that's a cool little tool, eh? ;)

--
David.