[Wellylug] Teckie-klutz requires competent geek.

Alison Alis0n at free.net.nz
Mon Oct 4 09:59:13 NZDT 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Alison wrote:
> Linux has run  slowly compared to W/s right from the start, but now
> there is an "Unable to find swap page sig" message at boot, and also
> "Activating remaining swap devices in etc/fstab........Failed" These are
> new boot messages, so either the system has done something, (unlikely!)
> or I have broken something when I played in Konsole. :( The thing will
> boot, then comes to a grinding stop - not quite a freeze, but almost as
> good as.

I don't suppose you were using the Windows swapfile as Linux swap (yes you
can do this apparently, although I've never done it myself) were you? If
you changed the Windows swapfile to another drive, it may result in this
behaviour... just a thought.

Perhaps you could run the following two commands (as root) and paste the
results to this list?

$ cat /etc/fstab
$ fdisk -l

--
Hi David.

I don't managed to set email up yet on Linux, so can't do that from the
Linux partition, but would I be able to access the Linux partition from
Windows using a live eval disk like Knoppix or Suse Live Eval, or will
using root with those only access the files on the live disk? The Suse
Live Eval is 9.1, with the 2.6 kernel, the Suse installed is 8.2 with
the 2.4.20 kernel  - if they use different kernels, does it matter?
These are no doubt self evident questions, but I haven't a clue, eh.

As far as using the Windows swap goes, I didn't set this up, so don't
really know what the guy who did, did. I am getting messages from W/$
from time to time, telling me the system is low on virtual memory.

Alison.