[wellylug] RE: VT-100 emulation

Peter Dawson peter_dawson at eagle.co.nz
Tue Oct 12 11:56:37 NZDT 2004

From: Richard <richard at redspider.co.nz>

> Many window managers overload the function keys for their own ends. Gnome for
> example eats F1 to trigger a help screen. For a fast just-damn-work fix, the
> following may help:
>
> Cntl-Alt-F2 to jump to a free console
> log in
> Ctrl-N to switch to G1 (vt100 graphics) mode
> TERM=vt100 telnet etunix
>
> Note that the TERM= bit may or may not be a good idea, also, you may wish to try
> 102.
>
> In theory, this should get you a graphics-enabled link in console mode (where X
> can't steal your function keys). Getting things working in X may require
> knowledge of your window manager etc.

Thanks for that but so far, no joy...

My system won't let me run a second console window behind Xfce, so I tried on the primary console..

The Ctrl-N didn't seem to do anything (well I didn't see anything happen, which may not be the same thing!) and the behaviour was the same as in either Rxvt, Xterm, & Xterm (Unicode) under Xfce.

Trying VT102 didn't seem to make any difference either.

Any other offers?

Cheers, Peter :-)

<End of Message - company advertising beyond my control follows>

===
www.eagle.co.nz
For all your Computer Training needs see:
New Horizons Computer Learning Centres
www.newhorizons.co.nz

This email is confidential and may be legally privileged.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.