[wellylug] Finally going to do it .. only ...

Kevin Dorne sweetpea-wellylug at tentacle.net
Wed Oct 20 09:30:06 NZDT 2004

Not exactly Linux, but...

I generally use FreeBSD, so my filesystems are FreeBSD UFS.  I use dump and restore for backups; I've tried all sorts of other stuff, but I keep coming back to those for sheer ease and reliability.  Anyway, I try to size my partitions for easy backups to whatever device I'm using at the time to run them.  It means that I can easily dump a partition onto, say, a single dual-layer DVD or a tape drive, without having to worry about the size of the data.  As partitions begin to fill, it's relatively easy to add new ones (and scatter user directories and mail spools) as needed -- in fact, I generally allocate only about 30% of my disk space these days, allowing me to add new partition "segments" of any type necessary, depending on the current demands on the system.  It's really flexible, easy to backup, and makes it ridiculously simple to do things like replace drives and upgrade the system.

-k
--
Peace, love & happiness to you from me =)
-Sweetpea    http://sweetpea.tentacle.net

"The villains are just the heroes in training." - JS