[wellylug] Is SUSE a desktop distro? (AARRGGHH!)

Richard Hector richard at walnut.gen.nz
Sun Sep 26 13:46:05 NZST 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:48:10AM +1200, David Antliff wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Centurion Computer Technology Ltd wrote:
> > I say boycott them until they open up the source!!!
>
> A mass boycott tends to put the company in risk of going out of business.

If it was a universal boycott, that might be true. However, I doubt
we'll see all the Windows users and system builders joining in in a huge
hurry, and a Linux-users boycott is unlikely to sink them.

On the other hand, if the whole Linux community was boycotting them,
that may be enough of a market to make them think again.

> You'd be better off deliberately buying pro-Linux video
> cards to encourage those companies, than trying to influence Nvidia
> through 'negative' feedback.

Sure. I gather the ATI Radeon 9200 is the most recent card available
that has full open source driver support, so that's the one I plan to
get. And since that's not nVidia, that turns out to be the same thing
:-)

Richard