[wellylug] Whitebox Linux

Bret Comstock Waldow bwaldow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:50:43 NZST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:31, Brent Wood wrote:

> I still see Debian as a great distro, but I don't think that as it comes it
> is the best for novices, and I disagree with the holier than thou attitude
> to non OS software. I prefer an approach which makes everything easy for
> the user, so proprietary graphics & multimedia support, etc, is provided
> automagically, instead of being treated as an abomination, contaminating
> the purity of The One True Linux!

Hamas is a charitable organization.  Really.  Sometimes it is best to say
'no'.

Consider that publically owned information is sometimes only available in
proprietary formats (Word, db formats) that require hundreds of dollars for
the owners (rate paying citizens) to read and use.

If you only want to consider your own convenience, sure.  But the people who
are working against proprietary formats are not doing it because they are
selfish or egotistical.  I could make a good case that they are less selfish.

I'm not the only person on the road, although it may be more convenient for me
alone to pretend I am.  GNU/Linux *is* about free software.  Consider the
difference between the words "freedom" and "license".

Regards,
Bret