[wellylug] open source CMS

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:33:47 NZST 2005

On 19/04/05, Abhinav Keswani <abhinav.keswani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to hear from people about their experiences with any open
> source content management systems they may have used.  I'm interested
> in something that will run entirely on an open source platform.
> Stability and minimal footprint would be ideal...in case I needed to
> state the obvious.
>
> I thought I would ask before [semi] randomly downloading and setting
> something up.

My personal site uses Zope. I don't use Plone, a Zope-based CMS,
because that would be overkill, but plain Zope has a decent web
interface for basic content mangement. Plone has many great features,
such as workflow mangement, and is used in many business situations.
Zope also supports undo on most object, and this is inhertited by
Plone. There's also Silva, another Zope-based CMS, which is based more
on XML.

Zope has a fairly small footprint - about 25MB last time I checked.
It's multithreaded python, and supports editing by WebDAV and FTP as
well as HTTP, though there are some caveats with those methods. Most
people proxy Zope though Apache and use a Zope product to put large
files/images on to the filesystem, as Apache is much faster at serving
static files.

Oh, and if you choose Plone, try to customise it so it doesn't look
like a generic Plone site ;)

In the feature department, both Silva and Plone can import MS Word
documents for publishing, but iirc Plone require OpenOffice to do the
conversion.

http://www.zope.org/ for zope, http://www.plone.org/ for plone,
http://www.infrae.com/products/silva for Silva.

--