[wellylug] Linux VPN Router Hardware

Nigel Roberts nigel at nobiscuit.com
Fri Aug 5 11:07:35 NZST 2005

Hi Rob,

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 at 19:27:44 +1200, Rob Giltrap wrote:

> >I would argue that VPN does not necessarily imply encryption, and even
> >if encryption is required, it may be handled by some other device
> >eg. a cable modem.
> >
> >But I will wait to hear back from Rob :)
> >
> Yeah, I want a full 10Mb/s after encryption (though the encryption
> doesn't need to be too strong).
>
> This would be running over the Saturn cable network (as we talked about
> at the last JellyLUG).

Well, bearing in mind that the max speed available through
TelstraClear is 10Mbit/s, encryption overhead is going to knock back
actual throughput to something less than that anyway.

Also, it will only be 1Mbit/s upstream, so at least that's only one
way to worry about. The cable modem network is already encrypted but
that only really protects customers from someone connecting the cable
network with a device that can decode DOCSIS.

But yeah, 10MB/s of encryption is certainly not an option with a
WRT54GS.

Regards,
Nigel