[wellylug] Setting up a simple web server

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Aug 10 16:54:08 NZST 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, John Durham wrote:
> Had no idea some were so sensitive to message etiquette. Wouldn't it be
> a boring place if everyone was jus the same?

I think there is a difference between people 'being the same' and people
trying to communicate in a consistent way. If you tried to write network
protocols in an 'interesting' way, I doubt they would work very well. The
best standards are boring standards, but they get the job done
consistently and efficiently.

Once you have a consistent transport layer, people can share their ideas
and thoughts. That's where the interesting things come from.

In general I don't consider someone more or less interesting because they
decide to write emails in a certain manner. I'm more interested in what
they have to say but if people have to spend additional brain cycles
trying to figure out what others are saying because they refuse to follow
low level protocols, then there's a greater chance the higher level
interesting stuff will get passed over (which is unfortunate).

This isn't a mailing list about email-netiquette - people should respect
the majority view and format their contributions appropriately. Then the
more interesting discussions can take place without distraction.

--
David.