[wellylug] Linux as selling point.

Phillip Hutchings sitharus at sitharus.com
Sat Aug 13 14:01:34 NZST 2005

> Granted, but, as I have said, what if all you did was download a
> stock-standard copy of the source code from the developer of that
> source
> code, and then compile it, and then embed the results into a
> gadget, and
> sell copies of that gadget?

You've agreed to the GPL and must adhere to its requirements.

> Even better - what if you downloaded a binary from the developers
> website and embedded *that* binary into your gadget and sold copies of
> *that* gadget?

You've agreed to the GPL and must adhere to its requirements.

> In that case you've not even seen the original source code.

The GPL doesn't make a differentiation on what you've downloaded. You
_MUST_ make the source available to anyone who has the executable.

> What is the difference between a manufacturer *using* Open Source
> software embedded within a hardware device to make its device work,
> and,
> for example, RedHat taking somebody else's software, and
> distributing it
> further for other persons to use as they wish?

None.

> I am, of course, discussing the usage or distribution of unmodified
> software.

The GPL makes no differentiation between modified and non-modified
distribution. Only the distribution matters, and if you do sell
anything with GPL software on in any form you must supply the source
on request.

--
Phillip Hutchings
phillip.hutchings at sitharus.com