[wellylug] \"People\'s Choice Community Member of the Year\"

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Dec 11 14:05:07 NZDT 2005

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, David Murray wrote:

>> But some of you guys need to adjust to the fact that its entirely likely
>> that not _every_ post will be of interest to _everyone_.
>
> No kidding!
>
> Spam is spam. Advertizing is spam.
>
> Posting an email about a Linux or Linux-community event is OK. Surely
> multiple posts saying almost exactly the same thing each time are not.
>
> all that was required was ONE email that included a URL to a web page that
> had the information she was wanting to promote.
>
> Hyping it up the way she did was spammy and totally unnecesary - not to
> mention a complete waste of bandwidth.

David

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however please consider that in the
situation above you've defined the message as 'spam' because of the fact
it was repeated; you yourself have just said that posting emails about
linux community events is OK.

So really its not that the message was 'spam' but more that repeat copies
of the same message was unwelcome.

Your tone is pretty harsh frankly, and Karin IMHO doesn't deserve it. You
made your point, shes adjusting her methods - 'disaster' averted.

Mark.