[wellylug] Re: Clock

Rob Stockley wellylug at mowgli.net.nz
Sun Feb 13 11:50:50 NZDT 2005

Steven Mulvay wrote:

>Hi all,
>Thank you Grant and Rob for your suggestions, but unfortunately I can't find the files that each of you talk about. In my /etc/rc0.d directly there are only 2 files that start with "K25", niether of which have anything to do with clock in the filename. After the K25's the files go straight to K28. I'm running Yellowdog which seems to be Redhat based.
>
>Anymore suggests from anyone?
>
>Cheers,
>Steve

Aha! RedHat! Have a look for files named /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt or
/etc/rc.d/init.d/reboot. IIRC you'll need to edit these manually and
comment out the line that calls /sbin/hwclock. Be sure to comment the
changes so that you can reverse them later if required. For example:

# hwclock commented out by Steve 13 Feb 05 to stop updating the hardware
clock on shutdown
# /sbin/hwclock --systohc

Adding the hash to the beginning of a line tells the system to ingnore
the rest of that line. You can change it back later simply by removing
the hash.

I haven't used RedHat for ages but think this should work. If not
perhaps there's a RedHat guru lurking in the list that might help.

Rob