[wellylug] NZLUG discussion

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sat Jul 9 22:22:24 NZST 2005

In message <20050709084437.AD8D43C463EF at basilica.la.naos.co.nz>, Ewen McNeill writes:
>From my point of view -- other than the fact that some of the information
>on the site is clearly inaccurate, and there's not much there yet -- I
>can't see a problem with, eg, putting a link on the Wellylug website
>pointing people at it.

In view of recent discoveries, including that NZLUG apparently doesn't
have a domain/website of its own (it's just mentioned on someone's vanity
domain), and that the "obvious" website (nzlug.org.nz) is just someone's
random test site, I've changed my mind.

It appears to me that linking to anything "NZLUG" would at least be
premature.  Maybe later if some sort of NZ-wide organisation emerges
out of the discussion apparently going on now.

FWIW, I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be better to start again
with something like Linux NZ because (a) it'd follow the pattern of
other country-wide groups (eg, Linux Australia), and (b) it'd be a clean
break from the "NZLUG == Auckland" past.  Several of the "obvious"
domain names are currently availble.

Ewen