[wellylug] Beginner programming languages and environments for linux

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Sat Jul 23 14:05:58 NZST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 12:51 +1200, Lyndsay Mountfort wrote:
> My 8-year-old daughter is asking for an introduction to programming. I'm
> interested in suggestions for what language and environment people would
> suggest,

Logo is a language which was designed specifically for introducing
children to programming.  The built-in "turtle graphics" allow kids to
get instant visual feedback and experience the feeling (illusion? :-) of
actually controlling the computer.

> for a simple text-based quiz programme,

Logo can also do text based interfaces and some versions can do
form-based GUIs too.

> that is easily available for my linux laptop.

kturtle is a LOGO for KDE that should be readily installable from your
distribution.  It seems to run under GNOME too.

Debian has a package called 'junior-programming' that pulls in a
selection of languages and tools that someone thought suitable for kids
(the inclusion of emacs may lead some to question that judgement).

> Is there a good linux basic interpreter that someone has experience of?

I'll skip that one lest my language bigotry comes out to join my editor
bigotry.

You might also like to check out my Sprog project:

  http://sprog.sourceforge.net/

There's a Debian package on that site as well as RPMs for other distros.

Cheers
Grant