[wellylug] Backing up to a SCSI tape drive

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Sun Jul 24 17:32:50 NZST 2005

I have recently been given an external SCSI DLT drive that I have hooked
up to my machine and can use from Windows but would also like to be able
to use it from Linux. The details from dmseg are:

i91u: PCI Base=0xEC00, IRQ=18, BIOS=0xFF000, SCSI ID=7
i91u: Reset SCSI Bus ...
scsi0 : Initio INI-9X00U/UW SCSI device driver; Revision: 1.04a
  Vendor: SUN       Model: DLT4000           Rev: CD50
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20050312, fixed bufsize 32768, s/g segs 256
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
st0: try direct i/o: yes (alignment 512 B), max page reachable by HBA
1048575

How would I go about using this drive? Are there any good GUI tape
backup programs around?