[wellylug] Beginner programming languages and environments for linux

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 17:29:10 NZST 2005

On 7/23/05, Lyndsay Mountfort wrote:
> My 8-year-old daughter is asking for an introduction to programming. I'm
> interested in suggestions for what language and environment people would
> suggest, for a simple text-based quiz programme, that is easily
> available for my linux laptop. Is there a good linux basic interpreter
> that someone has experience of?

I started on BASIC and Logo at about that age.  Logo is fun for
8-year-olds -- pretty patterns and colours -- and has the added bonus
of teaching some geometry.  Start with drawing polygons: triangles,
squares, etc., then arbitrary numbers of sides, which will introduce
loop constructs.  Build on that to get neat patterns covering the
whole screen.  Add in some other concepts like conditionals, and work
your way up to Logo golf!

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')