[wellylug] Linux admin advice

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 4 08:53:28 NZST 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Brent Wood wrote:
> I just had 2x 500Mhz desktops with Linux, apache, tomcat, php, Postgres &
> Postgis supplied for a project.
[snip]
> Can you let me know what a reasonably normal time should be for this (per
> system), and about what length of time you believe it is starting to get
> unreasonable?

I don't have a similar situation, but if the machines are identical in
hardware (or even relatively close) then they ought to have set one up and
simply mirrored it to the other machine. No reason to go through a lengthy
installation on both machines.

Building a machine from a pile of hardware takes around an hour or two if
everything goes smoothly.

With a good distribution like Debian, Fedora, etc, I imagine you could
install everything (without anything but the most basic configuration) in
an hour, plus download time if packages are unavailable. Even faster if
they've done it before and have all the packages and media on hand.

Mirroring to the second machine plus reconfiguration might take a maximum
of an hour depending on a few things.

That's just my opinion anyway - perhaps I misinterpreted the scope of the
question. An unreasonable time would be more than 8 hours for the entire
setup (it shouldn't take more than a day unless they've installed Gentoo).

--
David.