[wellylug] Which application is hogging the pipe?

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 23 14:25:36 NZDT 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Hong Chyr wrote:
> Tried using Ethereal, it seems like Amule traffic (or eDonkey in Ethereal) is
> taking up about 28% of the packets. Is that a lot for a single application? I
> have done this without any other applications accessing the Internet.

It's been a while but I always found it useful to limit p2p apps (like
mldonkey) to less than, say, 80% of my total bandwidth. Letting them fill
the pipe seemed to clog everything up, including the p2p app itself.

Even if the p2p app is not actually up or downloading any data, it will
typically be transferring substantial overhead traffic with the p2p
infrastructure, which you typically won't see evidence of within the GUI.

--
David.