[wellylug] Which application is hogging the pipe?

Hong Chyr hongchyr at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 23 13:35:22 NZDT 2005

Thanks all for your replies

Here's the story:

I'm using Amule (the emule client) for downloads, and whenever its
running all other applications requiring Internet access seems to have
problems getting bandwidth. Simple tasks like Mozilla going to Google
sometimes will just hang there for 15min before I decide to shut Amule
down.

Closing Amule seemed to do the trick, but what I don't understand is
sometimes Amule is just sitting there waiting with no upload/download.
And yet the pipe is stilled being "hogged". So I guess I wanted to find
a way to really determine if Amule is the culprit.

Tried using Ethereal, it seems like Amule traffic (or eDonkey in
Ethereal) is taking up about 28% of the packets. Is that a lot for a
single application? I have done this without any other applications
accessing the Internet.

Oh, there's only one computer in this scenario.

Hong