[wellylug] Unexplained (so far) incompatibility of USB card reader and Linux PC

Centurion Computer Technology Ltd daniel at centurion.net.nz
Mon Oct 3 08:28:49 NZDT 2005

1. It looks like the kernel sees your card reader fine.

2. Where it seems to fail is where hot plug fails to recognise it as a
storage device that it should mount.

3. Try mounting it manually (as root) with (ignoring the quotes of
course):
		'mount -o sync,noatime,umask=000 /dev/sda1 /media/usb0'
(You may have to run 'mkdir /media/usb0' first if that directory doesn't
already exist.)
You can unmount it as root by 'umount /media/usb0'

4. Figure out how to make hotplug recognise whether to mount your memory
card or not.

5. Try putting the reader in the usb port 1st, and then inserting to
card into it.  Hotplug could be waiting for a flag to identify a change
in state,caused by the insertion or removal of the card from the reader.

--
        Daniel Reurich
        Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Limited

        Ph: (04) 565 1832
        Mobile: (021) 797 722

        email: daniel at centurion.net.nz