[wellylug] Re: Xorg --> 'No Core Pointer'

Adam Bogacki afb at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 21 13:22:57 NZDT 2005

> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:01:29 +1300
> From: Chris Hodgetts <chris at archnetnz.com>
> Subject: Re: [wellylug] Xorg --> 'No Core Pointer' ?
> To: Wellington Linux Users Group <wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz>
>
> Do you have another mouse?

The hardware is OK - the mouse worked on another machine, and it works
on my unused XP partition.

> I assume that it has worked, but no longer works?

Yep.

> Stupid question, but you never know...
> Check the the mouse is "actually" plugged into the computer, if it is,
> and you have a spare mouse, try that..

Done that.

> Is the mouse a USB or PS/2 mouse?

It's a USB mouse plugged in through a PS/2 male adapter.

dmesg | less

.. gives me a mix of USB & PS/2 messages which I'll be posting
to wellylug shortly.

> try a:
>
> cat /dev/input/mice
> cat /dev/input/mouse
> cat /dev/psaux

$ cat /dev/input/mice
$ /dev/input/mice: No such device
$ cat /dev/input/mouse
$ /dev/input/mouse: No such file or directory
$cat /dev/psaux
$ /dev/psaux: No such device

.. does this imply that device /dev/input/mouse exists ?

> if you get a device does not exists or something, then reboot, and see
> if you get any errors upon a reboot.

None of the reboot error messages relate to this problem.

Cheers,
Adam Bogacki,
afb at paradise.net.nz