[wellylug] Installfest flyers

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Tue Sep 6 15:06:44 NZST 2005

> On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 23:44 +1200, Kris van der Merwe wrote:
>> I would like to create some adverts
>>
>> Please provide comments and info:
>> For example - Is there a minimum spec on PC's?
>
> that's actually a good question - do we need to impose a minimum spec?
>
> I don't think we need to, as the oldest possible PC I can see someone
> bringing would be a pentium, which is unlikely. Any PC which is 5 years
> old or less is at least a pentium2 or celeron now, and for then last
> couple of years, most pc's have had 1ghz or more CPU's and 128MB+ of
> ram, which can happily run a good GUI.

A specified Min Spec is a must. Speaking from Multiple Installfests.
Spending all day on a 486 because Linux has been touted as the 'reviver
for old PCs' isn't fun.  The bottleneck is usually in slow hardware and
the sheer waiting time.

We used to set a min spec of ~500Mhz with 128MB without X, 1Ghz and 256Mb
for an X install. (For example. Numbers are rough and from memory).

FYI AuckLUG are now looking at an Installfest for early in December.  Will
welcome lessons learned by WellyLUG ;-)

Mark.