[wellylug] Installfest flyers

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jedolinux.com
Tue Sep 6 16:06:07 NZST 2005

* Moved thread to org list - please continue there *

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 15:06 +1200, Mark Foster wrote:
> A specified Min Spec is a must. Speaking from Multiple Installfests.
> Spending all day on a 486 because Linux has been touted as the 'reviver
> for old PCs' isn't fun.  The bottleneck is usually in slow hardware and
> the sheer waiting time.

You have some good points here. You've got more experience than me at
installfests. :-)

> We used to set a min spec of ~500Mhz with 128MB without X, 1Ghz and 256Mb
> for an X install. (For example. Numbers are rough and from memory).

How does this sound?

TEXT INSTALL:
- 200Mhz CPU
- 64MB RAM
- 1GB disk space

(not much is needed, and a text install is nice and quick)

GRAPHICAL INSTALL
- 600Mhz CPU
- 128MB RAM
- 2GB or 3GB diskspace? Distros can vary heaps in size. I'm not sure of
the size of the latest mandrake or suse installs.

(my gnome 2.8 install runs using only around 117MB of ram, whilst
running evolution email, a webserver and a terminal. 128MB, is not
lightning fast, but it will run a GUI quite happily.)

there are a large amount of computers running around with 128MB of ram,
from only a couple of years ago, when all computers with winXP came with
only 128MB of ram. We don't want to alienate these people from having a
GUI.

--
Jethro Carr <jethro.carr at jedolinux.com>

www.jethrocarr.jedolinux.com